• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction of myself and Rosie.

Havicus

3 Year Member
Good afternoon. My name is Mel. I am new to everything about keeping something that can move faster than I can LOL.

About a month or two ago, I put my big girl panties on and went out to buy a rose haired tarantula for my husband. I am petrified of any kind of creepy crawly things. I typically refer to all spiders as a "nope nope". So, I purchased the tarantula, 10 gallon tank, and all other necessities. At first she was eating like crazy. Seriously... 4 crickets a day! I was under the impression that she wasn't hardly fed. Not even a month after having her (im assuming it's a girl) she stopped eating. 2 weeks with no food. Well, to my surprise she molted. YAY Rosie! Two weeks after of course I read don't feed them.

*Fun fact: I didn't know they shed their fangs!

Ok, so now she is back to eating. In the past 48 hours she has eaten 9 crickets. She's a fatty! I wanted to get her something more filling so I got her super worms. She didn't hesitate it when I gave it to her!

I guess my question is... is this normal?

Yes I've read that they only eat a couple times a week. But anything that I have ever given her, she have NEVER refused. No food in remaining in her tank for more than 30 minutes. So... yeah.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Mel welcome to the forum. you will love it here. Sounds like your T has a great appetite. Personally I prefer the 2 x a week route as this stimulates a more natural environment. having said that, it is almost impossible to over feed. if "she" eats then fine. if she stops just slow the feeding. qoudos for putting on the big girls pants too.
I suspect you will start to enjoy more than hubby does....lol

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
Ditto on what Phil said. And welcome. We're all mad here and u will love it. We're like family :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome Mel. Its great that your Rosie eats with so much gusto. I hope it continues. Some rose hairs are known to fast for months without any problem to them (although it frightens their owners). Yours sounds immune to this problem. Congratulations on your new pet. But be careful....this habit is as addicting as crystal meth! :cool:

Havicus

3 Year Member
I have introduced the long feeding tongs. she attacked them at first but is now getting used to them. Yesterday and today she has eaten 3 super worms.

And yes... watching her and getting things for her... it has become addictive. She is such a fatty but I love it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have introduced the long feeding tongs. she attacked them at first but is now getting used to them. Yesterday and today she has eaten 3 super worms.

And yes... watching her and getting things for her... it has become addictive. She is such a fatty but I love it.
I have an older rosea that eats like that, then she'll refuse food for months after stocking up. Welcome to the hobby, and TF

Calico

3 Year Member
I am petrified of any kind of creepy crawly things. I typically refer to all spiders as a "nope nope". .

Welcome Mel! I too dislike anything that is hairy, eight legged and fanged! I kinda got thrown into this crazy life when my desert blonde hitched a ride home from the desert in one of my husbands bags. He has now become my greatest fascination!

People on here are very friendly, helpful and someone always has an answer to any question. Good luck!

Latest posts