• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Huge appitite!

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
So I have had my little N. Chromatus for about 2 weeks now which I have affectionately named Vivian. Been feeding her little medium crickets about 3 times a week. She loves them and devours them every chance she gets with out mercy. Have even watched her pounce on them from across her enclosure. Last time I went to buy crickets thereally was one that seemed rather large. I think it either grew since the pet store got it or they got it mixed in from the large crickets. Just for the heck of it I thought I'd see if she'd take it down and sure enough without hesitation she jumped it and soon subdued the little jumpy thing with her beautiful fangst in a magnificent show of just how amazing these animals are. I wish I had time to have gotten a video going but she was just too quick and I did not have someone else manning the camera but here is a couple of pictures of her holding onto her well deserved prize. Hope you all enjoy, I know I dI'd.

I do have to wonder, can a lone larger cricket hurt your T? With the pictures so you can see the size comparison of Vivian atomic the larger cricket I worry I should really refrain from this size til she grows a little larger.

And also on that note there is one last picture I'll include...she is an N. Chromatus which is a terrestrial species correct? Why in the world is she insisting on taking the thing to the top of her cage? She doesn't seem to want anything to do with her Hide lol.
Camera HDR Studio - 1462197273878.jpg Camera HDR Studio - 1462197386753.jpg Camera HDR Studio - 1462198218089.jpg Camera HDR Studio - 1461961823154.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seems appropriately sized to me. Most places say roughly abdomen sized.
Mine is smaller but still strolls around its walls from time to time. Although it does use its little bark hide also.
Does your little one climb often or was this just with the cricket?

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Seems to climb around as she walks around and has taken to chilling in the corner between the side of the enclosure and the hide. Though that is the first time I've seen her climb up with a cricket. Was just curious if it was normal behaviour or maybe something I'm doing wrong with the substrate. It's just eco earth brand coco fiber, it was compressed so I had to wet it down to prep it and I was letting it dry out. Figured it'd be alright since I've read and been told the N. Chromatus likes the humidity. Once it FL dried out I was going to keep over near her water dish damp as that was suggested to me. She's happily munching the cricket now though and seems very content so I'm not too worried just curious more than anything.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my guess would be the substrate is too moist. Most terrestrials from my experience will climb the sides and hang out until the substrate has dried to their liking.

Yes a cricket can harm a T, there's been known cases of crickets and meal worms eating a molting sling. Rule of thumb is don't feed it anything larger than it's abdomen.

I have seen my LP, when he was tiny little 1/4" sling attack a lateralis that was his size if not slightly larger, and while he was busy sinking his fangs into it, it was trying to run around the enclosure. Was quite entertaining to see him riding the roach. Granted it didn't get very far ;)

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Well I have a new enclosure on its way from Jamie's tarantulas with a better hide and such so I'm sure she'll like it better at that point and even so the substrate she has now will dry out soon enough. She's does not act stressed or out of sorts. I'm really hoping she molt soon too. Guy at the pet store said she had melted a little while before I picked her up. Excited to see how she looks and how much bigger she will be lol.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm in agreement, just a bit to damp for her liking. once it dries some probably be no issues. My little one likes to crawl around, guess it's exploring, much smaller then yours tho, even pinheads are to big for it lol have to butcher it's bugs or give it a leg 0.o

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I have a new enclosure on its way from Jamie's tarantulas with a better hide and such so I'm sure she'll like it better at that point and even so the substrate she has now will dry out soon enough. She's does not act stressed or out of sorts. I'm really hoping she molt soon too. Guy at the pet store said she had melted a little while before I picked her up. Excited to see how she looks and how much bigger she will be lol.
How big is it? they'll molt about every 4-5 weeks until they're an inch or so, then every couple months and longer time between each molt as they grow. This all depends on temps, humidity, and feeding schedules.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
As a note, apologies for the typos haha I'm doing this from my phone. Likes to autocorrect to stupid words. Anyway there is a picture there, Vivian is about 2" the enclosure I got from Jamie's is one that is advertised good til they are about 3" - 3.5" so it's something I'm sure will be ok for a while. Unless I'm wrong? Would it be better to keep her in the kritter keeper she is in now? The one from Jamie's is his juvenile terrestrial enclosure. 4" X 4" X 5" I think we're the dementions. Too lazy to go check at the moment but I'm sure that's almost spot on to the description. Whether I keep her in the kritter keeper or the new enclosure I'll replace the hide with a proper cork bark lol. And this conversation is turning into one I should have probably posted in the enclosures thread lol. Her feeding schedule right now as I said is 3 times a week. And usually they are medium crickets. That one just happened to be an odd large cricket the pet store lady gave me on accident. Though I am thinking of buying a few medium Dubias, unless should they be large or small?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
medium may work for the dubia, if you keep them around the mid 70s they won't grow very fast. so they'll last a while. I feed my slings (juvies), whatever you call them at that size, twice a week. Sunday and Wednesday nights, give or take depending on our schedule.

I've always used the rule of thumb enclosure size should 2-3 times their leg span so they have room to molt and grow and can easily find prey. I don't have to upgrade as often that way either ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tend to go a little larger with mine as soon as they are juvies, I'm constantly checking mine though as I'm at home 95% of the time. So I know who's gotten their food etc. Karma the advice is solid and what most folks recommend.

Latest posts