• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

Lkyle13

3 Year Member
Hello everyone!
I'm Logan, a college student and also a first time Tarantula owner!

I currently have a little Avicularia, I'm pretty sure she's a girl, and so I named her Elise. :)

I can't tell how old she is, but I know she's definitely juvenile.
I also can't tell which type of avicularia she is. Any help on those two topics would be much appreciated :)

I've had small reptiles and other animals in the past, specifically Lizards, and so I'm excited to start my new journey with Elise!

Attachments

• 20170124_172944.jpg
    20170124_172944.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Hi there, Logan, and welcome.:)
You are correct in that your T is a junior Avicularia.
The gender can only be determined via view of the vent, which is not 100% reliable, or via looking at its molt, which is 100% accurate.
I can, probably, get it down to a few species but cannot say, 100%, which exact species, of Avicularia, that this one is.
Am assuming there wasn't an info tag.
Are you able to find out from the seller?

Lkyle13

3 Year Member
Hi there, Logan, and welcome.:)
You are correct in that your T is a junior Avicularia.
The gender can only be determined via view of the vent, which is not 100% reliable, or via looking at its molt, which is 100% accurate.
I can, probably, get it down to a few species but cannot say, 100%, which exact species, of Avicularia, that this one is.
Am assuming there wasn't an info tag.
Are you able to find out from the seller?

I bought her from a pet store, and they didn't know.
(Very trusted store, takes great care of their reptiles and arachnids)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I bought her from a pet store, and they didn't know.
(Very trusted store, takes great care of their reptiles and arachnids)

At least it was a store that takes good care of their animals. That is a big plus. Also, that they had the correct genus.

Wish most, if not all, pet stores took more interest in getting a full genus/species name.
'Course, it is better than listing something incorrectly (which I have seen done).

As a side note ...
I suppose the only benefit (to a customer), for an incorrect genus/species name, is if the correct genus/species name is known, to the customer, and it's value is way more than what the store listed it as. LoL (Have also seen this occur).

Last edited:

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new tarantula and welcome!

You'll have a great time with Elise and there are loads of helpful people here for any questions you may have. :)

Latest posts