• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello, spider people

hickzuk1

3 Year Member
I found what help me best when starting was to watch video's on you tube , there are plenty of great ideas and help and you can watch and follow step by step , i always found it a much easier way of learning about whats right and wrong , i'm pretty new to and welcome :T:

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I have had a look but can't seem to find anything with the same situation. Where the spider has gone into hiding and built a wall as soon as I got it and hasn't been seen since.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
it could be moulting , i would just leave it for a bit
Yeah I put a cricket in last night but think it died of natural causes. Going to leave it for a week or so now.

Out of interest to tarantulas mind noise? I have two young children who sometimes run around like loons. And was worried that it might be bothering TT

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jackys

3 Year Member
Yeah I put a cricket in last night but think it died of natural causes. Going to leave it for a week or so now.

Out of interest to tarantulas mind noise? I have two young children who sometimes run around like loons. And was worried that it might be bothering TT

They're definitely very sensitive to vibrations. My T's tend to get startled by the vibration when I open their enclosures, or if I move something on the shelves above/below them. Usually they just shift a little but if they get REALLY startled, they make a break for their hides. If the kids are running around enough to shake the enclosure, it could be bothering him.

Maybe there's a quieter place in the house? Idk about moving his enclosure during a molt though (if that is in fact what he's done in there)... I know it's best not to disturb them while molting.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
They're definitely very sensitive to vibrations. My T's tend to get startled by the vibration when I open their enclosures, or if I move something on the shelves above/below them. Usually they just shift a little but if they get REALLY startled, they make a break for their hides. If the kids are running around enough to shake the enclosure, it could be bothering him.

Maybe there's a quieter place in the house? Idk about moving his enclosure during a molt though (if that is in fact what he's done in there)... I know it's best not to disturb them while molting.
Atm his cage is in my room which is next to the kids room, which I thought would be the best place for him as it's away from my cats and the kids don't usually play up there. But last few days they want to play in there lol.
I think I'm going to buy a shelf and put it up in the living room tomorrow. But like u said if he is molting I don't wanna disturb him. How long does it take to molt?
He was about 5cm when I got him, what size will he be when he has his new outfit on?

Last edited:

jackys

3 Year Member
Atm his cage is in my room which is next to the kids room, which I thought would be the best place for him as it's away from my cats and the kids don't usually play up there. But last few days they want to play in there lol.
I think I'm going to buy a shelf and put it up in the living room tomorrow. But like u said if he is molting I don't wanna disturb him. How long does it take to molt?
He was about 5cm when I got him, what size will he be when he has his bee outfit on?

That's a good call keeping him away from both cats and kids (while unsupervised, at least :) )

Have only seen molts happen overnight, just catching the very end so far... All I know is it took something less than 10 hours lol. I've heard from more experienced folks that the time really varies. As for size change, I think that varies too. My B. hamorii went from about 3" to about 3.5" last molt.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I've had quite a few moult in their burrows, most will eventually push the old exo out but some keep them down below even decorating their homes with bits.
Lol really? That's so not how I imagined a tarantula to be. I'm so glad I decided to start this journey [emoji1]

jackys

3 Year Member
Have you had any experiences with a T doing it in a hide?

Sort of... My G. porteri molted in her hide, but only put up a thin film of webbing so I could still see her through the entrance. She did the actual molt overnight though and I missed it :( Still quite a nice surprise to wake up to! She hadn't been eating for a month so I was very relieved that was the reason lol

B. hamorii molted out in the open, which was strange because she spent so much time rearranging and webbing up her hide in the weeks before.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Sort of... My G. porteri molted in her hide, but only put up a thin film of webbing so I could still see her through the entrance. She did the actual molt overnight though and I missed it :( Still quite a nice surprise to wake up to! She hadn't been eating for a month so I was very relieved that was the reason lol

B. hamorii molted out in the open, which was strange because she spent so much time rearranging and webbing up her hide in the weeks before.
I can't wait til I see mine again. It feels like so much longer than it really is lol

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
Best picture I have of TT
e32d581b5f34267031a6f6bdf9665bc1.jpg

jackys

3 Year Member
I can't wait til I see mine again. It feels like so much longer than it really is lol

I definitely empathize... Especially since all my previous pets have been much more "interactive" animals it feels like T's do everything sooooo slowly. Or at least the few species I keep.

But their overall slow pace of living makes it that much cooler when they do something! I'll get super excited just watching them walk across their enclosure or web stuff and my friends are like "...uh, I guess that's neat?" Pfsh, they don't get it!! [emoji12]

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I definitely empathize... Especially since all my previous pets have been much more "interactive" animals it feels like T's do everything sooooo slowly. Or at least the few species I keep.

But their overall slow pace of living makes it that much cooler when they do something! I'll get super excited just watching them walk across their enclosure or web stuff and my friends are like "...uh, I guess that's neat?" Pfsh, they don't get it!! [emoji12]
Good things come to those who wait and all that.

I've got a fair few crickets left that are still alive. How long do they live for and can I release them into the wild?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good things come to those who wait and all that.

I've got a fair few crickets left that are still alive. How long do they live for and can I release them into the wild?

No, crickets are not a British native species so not a good idea. I usually manage to have a few survive for 2 weeks.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is that with feeding them?
How am I going to clean there enclosure?
Should I even clean it?

I keep mine in the boxes they come in and just leave them. Sometimes I put a leaf in if I have any baby leaf salad, or young cauliflower or cabbage leaves but I don't think it helps keep them any longer. As I have 70+ Ts I usually get 2 feeds per T in the 2 weeks out of each box.

Latest posts