• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from New Jersey

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was hoping that we had a local breeder that I could visit to maybe pick up one sling at a time...my wife was not thrilled when I bought my first sling but she didn't really try to dissuade me. The second one she reallllly didn't want me to get and she put up a little resistance. The third one, I ordered first and then said "HEY GUESS WHAT?!". If I ever placed an order of several at one time, I think the spiders and I would be out on the street :rolleyes:. I need to gradually increase my collection lol. I did notice the show in White Plains coming up and that's only about an hour from me, I think I may check that out.
Just buy something your wife wants or likes along with the Ts. That way when they can come in you can distract her with a gift;)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was hoping that we had a local breeder that I could visit to maybe pick up one sling at a time...my wife was not thrilled when I bought my first sling but she didn't really try to dissuade me. The second one she reallllly didn't want me to get and she put up a little resistance. The third one, I ordered first and then said "HEY GUESS WHAT?!". If I ever placed an order of several at one time, I think the spiders and I would be out on the street :rolleyes:. I need to gradually increase my collection lol. I did notice the show in White Plains coming up and that's only about an hour from me, I think I may check that out.
You will see things called "tarantula huts" at petco. Try not to deal with them. Over priced and you may not even get the T it says it is.

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
You will see things called "tarantula huts" at petco. Try not to deal with them. Over priced and you may not even get the T it says it is.
I've seen them, they're horrible. My local Petco had two B. Vagans huts, they were probably not much bigger than the Euathlus in my picture. The huts are VERY tall for a terrestrial sling and have no substrate, just a piece of green foam at the bottom. And for food, they threw in several crickets that were many times larger than the slings themselves. I told the guy working that there was no way that the slings could eat those and that they should at least put use small, recently killed crickets. He pretty much just gave me a blank stare and said he would tell management :rolleyes:

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen them, they're horrible. My local Petco had two B. Vagans huts, they were probably not much bigger than the Euathlus in my picture. The huts are VERY tall for a terrestrial sling and have no substrate, just a piece of green foam at the bottom. And for food, they threw in several crickets that were many times larger than the slings themselves. I told the guy working that there was no way that the slings could eat those and that they should at least put use small, recently killed crickets. He pretty much just gave me a blank stare and said he would tell management :rolleyes:
Yeah most people that work at petco dont realy know what they are doing with any animals. I do wish there was a spot to buy slings with out dealing with mailing or expos

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@yeahhtrue : Hopefully your wife will be like mine. She lost her friggin mind when I said I wanted a tarantula. I brought one home after 4 months of arguing. Wow, she was mad. She said that keeping spiders was "not normal". Well, I bought a G. Pulchra sling. I said to her, "it will take years for my sling to look like a tarantula". So, I picked up an adult. NO MORE she demanded. Well, I wore her down over a few months for a GBB.

Now, one year and 10 spiders later, she doesn't even flinch. She is like the rat in an electric cage. Each sequential shock produces less response.
I hope your wife becomes like mine and takes her shock like a good rat. (LOL)

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
@yeahhtrue : Hopefully your wife will be like mine. She lost her friggin mind when I said I wanted a tarantula. I brought one home after 4 months of arguing. Wow, she was mad. She said that keeping spiders was "not normal". Well, I bought a G. Pulchra sling. I said to her, "it will take years for my sling to look like a tarantula". So, I picked up an adult. NO MORE she demanded. Well, I wore her down over a few months for a GBB.

Now, one year and 10 spiders later, she doesn't even flinch. She is like the rat in an electric cage. Each sequential shock produces less response.
I hope your wife becomes like mine and takes her shock like a good rat. (LOL)

LMAO, yes, this is exactly my plan. Good work :D

Latest posts