• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from New Jersey

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I'm Dan. I'm new to the hobby but completely hooked. I bought my first sling, a Grammosola rosea, in January. It's molted twice so far. I waited about 2 months before I got my second sling, an Avicularia (now Caribena) Versicolor. One molt so far for that one. And just a couple weeks ago I added a TEENY Euathlus. sp red sling to my collection. Here are some pics of my three babies:

bsDVTBY.jpg
dpLEamb.jpg
EPU2jJr.jpg

Looking forward to reading through the threads here and getting some helpful tips!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum. Great choice of Ts but I hope you have a lot of patience the sp red is very slow growing.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Love the cute A. Sp. Red!!
I think you are doing this right.
Nothing like watching tiny little buggers grow up to be big (and in your case) gentle giants.

Excellent pics. TF: we have a winner here.
Welcome aboard. I'm sure our dysfunctional family will help you with any question you have (in a kind manner, of course)

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
Nothing like watching tiny little buggers grow up to be big (and in your case) gentle giants.

Welcome aboard. I'm sure our dysfunctional family will help you with any question you have (in a kind manner, of course)

Thank you! Watching them grow is fascinating to me. I actually caught my Rosie at the very start of a molt and was able to film it. Not the best quality, didn't have time to set up any kind of lighting and my phone was acting buggy so it's a few different clips stitched together. But you can see it below.

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I'm Dan. I'm new to the hobby but completely hooked. I bought my first sling, a Grammosola rosea, in January. It's molted twice so far. I waited about 2 months before I got my second sling, an Avicularia (now Caribena) Versicolor. One molt so far for that one. And just a couple weeks ago I added a TEENY Euathlus. sp red sling to my collection. Here are some pics of my three babies: so should stop handling this CB, before it dies on you? just leave this Versicolor in there jars or where cant run off on the jars. meaning scape.:T:

bsDVTBY.jpg
dpLEamb.jpg
EPU2jJr.jpg

Looking forward to reading through the threads here and getting some helpful tips!

Thistles

3 Year Member
Thanks! Since you're local, do you know of any good breeders/sources of T's near us? Would be great to be able to pick up something new without the shipping charges.
Depends on what part of NJ. There are shows outside Philly sometimes, and also a great show in White Plains, NY.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks! Since you're local, do you know of any good breeders/sources of T's near us? Would be great to be able to pick up something new without the shipping charges.
Unfortunately I have not found one yet. And one of the breeders i used to deal with is done with the T biz since he got ****ed over by an employee and lost hundreds of Ts

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Depends on what part of NJ. There are shows outside Philly sometimes, and also a great show in White Plains, NY.
Yeah but that still isnt all the time. I think he ment one local that can go to whenever. With shipping charges i tend to get at lest 5 or more Ts a time to make that shipping charge not hurt so much lol

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah but that still isnt all the time. I think he ment one local that can go to whenever. With shipping charges i tend to get at lest 5 or more Ts a time to make that shipping charge not hurt so much lol
My go-to site is arachnoiden.com, but I don't know of any local dealers that are always available in NJ. Shows are the best bet, but they come a few times a year. Most people do as you do and buy a group a few times annually instead of one or two at a local place. Generally the selection is poor when you go to a LPS. There was a guy near the coast that I met at a show and to whom I sent a MM, but he recently listed all of his stock so I assumed he was getting out of the hobby. Maybe OP can clarify, but if he's just looking to avoid shipping costs, shows are the way to go. Oaks, PA, or White Plains, NY, are both good options depending on where he lives and how far he's willing to drive.

yeahhtrue

3 Year Member
My go-to site is arachnoiden.com, but I don't know of any local dealers that are always available in NJ. Shows are the best bet, but they come a few times a year. Most people do as you do and buy a group a few times annually instead of one or two at a local place. Generally the selection is poor when you go to a LPS. There was a guy near the coast that I met at a show and to whom I sent a MM, but he recently listed all of his stock so I assumed he was getting out of the hobby. Maybe OP can clarify, but if he's just looking to avoid shipping costs, shows are the way to go. Oaks, PA, or White Plains, NY, are both good options depending on where he lives and how far he's willing to drive.

I was hoping that we had a local breeder that I could visit to maybe pick up one sling at a time...my wife was not thrilled when I bought my first sling but she didn't really try to dissuade me. The second one she reallllly didn't want me to get and she put up a little resistance. The third one, I ordered first and then said "HEY GUESS WHAT?!". If I ever placed an order of several at one time, I think the spiders and I would be out on the street :rolleyes:. I need to gradually increase my collection lol. I did notice the show in White Plains coming up and that's only about an hour from me, I think I may check that out.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I was hoping that we had a local breeder that I could visit to maybe pick up one sling at a time...my wife was not thrilled when I bought my first sling but she didn't really try to dissuade me. The second one she reallllly didn't want me to get and she put up a little resistance. The third one, I ordered first and then said "HEY GUESS WHAT?!". If I ever placed an order of several at one time, I think the spiders and I would be out on the street :rolleyes:. I need to gradually increase my collection lol. I did notice the show in White Plains coming up and that's only about an hour from me, I think I may check that out.
Check out Anastasia from net-bug.net. She's usually there and has a great selection.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome Dan! I'll second @Thistles on this. Anastasia is awesome, never had a bad experience in the orders I've placed with her.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tgotty90

3 Year Member

Totally agree with WolfSider, nothing like raising slings. My first T was a full grown female but I really got hooked from raising slings. It's that never ending cycle it seems till they are full grown, then you miss the whole process and start all over by buying more slings and so on it begins...lol at any rate weclome to the forum dan and enjoy bringing up the little ones.
:T:

Latest posts