• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello Everyone

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
can you tip it gently into a larger container and give it a bit of dry sub? Just tease it out with a brush?
I worry about mine when they are tiny as well, with its little lungs on its belly (per say)
I wouldn't want it sitting in a puddle either :p

justdon

3 Year Member
I did that and put a little dry substrate in the enclosure.My little guy surprises me he hangs in there pretty good.I just worry so much because he is a baby.

justdon

3 Year Member
Once again a question.I was in the pet store last night to purchase flea and tick spray for my dogs.Naturaly I went and looked at the T's they had in stock.Two guys were there they were debating one said he only buys T's that are 2inches or larger because his first sling died and he did not want that to happen again.The other guy said he will only buy slings because he wants to watch them grow from babies to adults and that he could learn to care for them better.Now I may be crazy but I agree with both guys I like my sling as I have said he drives me crazy he is like you will see me when ever I show myself on the other hand my rosehair is a sweetheart iam sure everyone saw the pics I posted of both.Being brand new my question is what do most here think buy either one or stick with sling or larger.Because my next order will be a curly hair sling from Jamie's or a 2inch payson blond from another place.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love them all, slings juvies and adults,
I might prefer a sling for one of the more defensive species to make it easier to get to know that particular spider..
It's just all a matter of what you like,
My moody G porteri is my favorite girl and she was full size or very close to it when I got her.
What ever pleases you is exactly right for you :p Doesn't matter if its sling or up through adult size.

Now, be exceedingly careful with the flea spray, make sure you scrub extra well before doing any maintenance etc with your T's, try to keep the dogs out of their vicinity also, Apparently they are extremely fragile creatures when it comes to insecticides. Better safe than sorry so just be diligent in remembering to scrub :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Once again a question.I was in the pet store last night to purchase flea and tick spray for my dogs.Naturaly I went and looked at the T's they had in stock.Two guys were there they were debating one said he only buys T's that are 2inches or larger because his first sling died and he did not want that to happen again.The other guy said he will only buy slings because he wants to watch them grow from babies to adults and that he could learn to care for them better.Now I may be crazy but I agree with both guys I like my sling as I have said he drives me crazy he is like you will see me when ever I show myself on the other hand my rosehair is a sweetheart iam sure everyone saw the pics I posted of both.Being brand new my question is what do most here think buy either one or stick with sling or larger.Because my next order will be a curly hair sling from Jamie's or a 2inch payson blond from another place.
welcome to the forum, i'm just catching up here :)

Personally i prefer slings under 1". Like the one guy said if it turns out to be a male that's just more time i get to enjoy it. My son is like the other guy, he doesn't want to have to wait for it to grow and show the colors, he wants to buy Ts that have their adult colors already, so he prefers the juveniles.

justdon

3 Year Member
Forgive me for all the questions.But today when I fed my T's I was putting the pinheads in the slings enclosure and 2 or 3 jumped in that's not a problem is it?.The pinheads are hard to catch so I try to dump 1 in the enclosure.

justdon

3 Year Member
I saw my sling again today alive and well I thought when I fed him last I may have let too many pinheads get in the enclosure.I think I worry to much about him.He crawled up the enclosure wall to say see iam ok.

justdon

3 Year Member
20160411_160633.jpg I had an emergency today I was watering some plants and thought I would put a little water in the bottle cap for the sling and accidently spilled a lot of water in his enclosure.So quickly I made up this enclosure for him because I thought he was going to drown.The stupid things I do.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, it happens to all of us, honestly, we all make foolish mistakes at one time or another and anyone who tells you they never has is lieing :p
You got it out and rehoused right away so all's well that ends well and all those other cliche 's ^*^

justdon

3 Year Member
Iam getting ready to get a few more T's and I wanted to try and save money.I see some decent prices.You can get them shipped at a good price.but it cost almost double or triple for live guarantee.Would it just be best to get the live guarante or would I be safe in getting the cheaper 2 day shipping.What do most people here do?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Iam getting ready to get a few more T's and I wanted to try and save money.I see some decent prices.You can get them shipped at a good price.but it cost almost double or triple for live guarantee.Would it just be best to get the live guarante or would I be safe in getting the cheaper 2 day shipping.What do most people here do?
Important things to consider here are 1. How badly do you want the spider (I. E. How upset would you be if it died). 2. Weather (both shipped from, between and to) 3. Distance (not sure where you live but if being shipped across continents, my be a big deal) and 4. Research (is the supplier reputable, good feedback on forums for example). Your decision at the end of the day but worth considering these 4 points when making your mind up. May be worth asking is anyone has experience of the supplier on this forum. There is a thread for this somewhere so there may already be posts up there. Hope this helps

justdon

3 Year Member
I bought my first sling from jamies.The one iam looking at is sold by ken the bug guy.So both have great reputations.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
My concern would be - what is happening to that box in the extra 24 hours? If it sat on a shelf in a warehouse for a day, then they would probably be fine, but that is likely not happening. They are being moved from vehicle to vehicle, making extra stops increasing their chances of being thrown around, or dropped, or worse.
I have known people who worked for Canada Post who went out of their way to kick, drop, crush packages marked fragile because they are angry, malicious, postees - so my confidence level with my package is extremely low. My sister, a postee herself, has joked to not mark fragile packages with fragile because that makes them even more likely to be mishandled.
I don't even like the thought of my spiders being in the hands of Canada Post for one day... let alone two. When I am ready to get the ones I have ordered shipped to me - I am going to be a nervous wreck.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm in the UK and I have ordered Ts from Poland several times, they can take anything between 3 and 10 days to arrive but I've not had a dead one yet. If they are well packaged they will be fine.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm in the UK and I have ordered Ts from Poland several times, they can take anything between 3 and 10 days to arrive but I've not had a dead one yet. If they are well packaged they will be fine.
I got to find out exactly how that works for here in the states. :( they have sooo many I'd love to have.

Latest posts