• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying of old age?

Sheisfishing

3 Year Member
Thanks so much for your kind words everyone. Charles is still alive but very very weak right now. He tries to walk a couple times a day but gets too shaky and falls over.

I am just letting him be and not disturbing him. I go back and forth with myself and want to stick him in the ICU again in hopes that it will prolong his life, but I have accepted that he isn't really living a quality life and I would just be making him suffer longer.

My guess is he has a day or two left. It's so hard to not intervene. My husband was just asking how big he was when I got him and when I told him he was only the size of my pinky fingernail he realized how long I have had him and how difficult it is to watch something that you have raised from such a small size come to the end of its life.

Its been a great help having the folks on this forum to chat with and help me to better understand what is happening and that there really isn't a lot that can be done for him.

I am holding off on getting a new spiderling until Charles passes and I have some time to be sad for him.

Thank you all again for all the friendly words and knowledgable advice, I really do appreciate it.

Cheers,

Lizzie

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Again, so sorry for this, its hard to let go of things we love, sounds like he's had a wonderful life, it's just his time now.
Wish I had the words to make it a bit easier for you.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
its funny...u start out being the one that need the help and sympathy and then end up being the on providing it...u dont even realize it when it happens. and ive seen it time and time again. @Kymura comes to mind quickly in this respect...but i agree everyone around here supports one another pretty well for the most part.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I'm sorry that Charles is winding down. Unfortunately, having longer living females only puts it off for a few years. My little Evelyn might be coming to the end of her life too and I empathize with your heartbreak. We've been together almost 17 years and you do get very attached to them.
Obviously Charles is well loved and has had a good life with lots of traveling adventures. Take comfort in that and the fact that we all understand and appreciate how you are feeling.
Take care.

Sheisfishing

3 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone for the kind thoughts - Charles passed away recently and is now living in my cupboard dehydrating so I can seal him in an acrylic cube.

I get a strange amount of satisfaction knowing he still creeps out my house guests when I send them to the kitchen to grab things out of his cupboard.

I have tried contacting tarantulascanada.com three times now to purchase a new sling - I have decided to get another brachypelma but this time will be getting an albiceps. I haven't ever heard back from them so I guess I need to find a new supplier in Canada.

If anyone can recommend a good breeder it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again to the wonderful community here. It really has made this whole experience a lot easier to understand and cope with.

I'm so sorry to hear about Evelyn. 17 years is such a long time to have a friend for. It must be heartbreaking to have to say goodbye.

Take care,

Lizzie

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    676.2 KB · Views: 94

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I have been in contact with Tarantulas Canada very recently. I am picking up a few in April when they come to Toronto for the Reptile show. Usually they are awesome about responding to emails - maybe yours somehow got lost. I would try again.
They are doing shopping for their April import. If you have anything specific that you are looking for, they are asking people to drop them a note.

Sheisfishing

3 Year Member
Thanks Vanessa,

I have emailed them a few times in the last couple weeks but haven't received a response.

Maybe I will try calling today and see if I am ending up in a junk mail folder.

Appreciate the info! I would definitely prefer to order from them.

Cheers!

Petey's mom

3 Year Member
Sheisfishing, I'm sorry for your loss. I am going through the same thing this week, today I think I have lost her 6/14/17. Petey my sons rose hair T is also going through the dieing process. I am so heartbroken! We have had her 17+ years now and she has molted three times and is/was quite the beauty. I lost my son 2 1/2 years ago to cancer and Petey was a wonderful reminder and comfort to me everytime I saw and played with her. Hugs and Prayers

Thistles

3 Year Member
Sheisfishing, I'm sorry for your loss. I am going through the same thing this week, today I think I have lost her 6/14/17. Petey my sons rose hair T is also going through the dieing process. I am so heartbroken! We have had her 17+ years now and she has molted three times and is/was quite the beauty. I lost my son 2 1/2 years ago to cancer and Petey was a wonderful reminder and comfort to me everytime I saw and played with her. Hugs and Prayers
I'm so sorry to hear this! That is very heartbreaking. I'm sorry for the loss of your son and your tarantula. Was she the only special spider for you or will you eventually look to get another 8-legged friend?

Ethel Webster

3 Year Member
What a sad post. A few months back, I list my first spider, a little Regal Jumping spider called Ethel Webster. Even though I was scared of her, she made her mark and I was so upset when she passed. She did, however leave me a fertile sac so I've been raising her babies ever since! I hope you find a new 8 legged friend soon xx

Latest posts