• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubias and ants

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
notice a small ant issue happening due to food in dubia bins. Does anyone have any advice on handling this issue other then being more on top of taking out food more often?
Off the top of my head, put a ring of vaseline around the outside of the roach colony bin. that should keep the ants from getting in it. then use those ant traps to get rid of them, assuming the roach colony is in a different room than the T's. the ant traps won't hurt the roaches. and i don't beleive there's fumes from them so they shouldn't hurt the T's, but why chance it?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I have no idea what to do but @kormath idea sounds like it would work.. while putting fresh carrots in my dubia bin I noticed a gnat so I killed it and I hope I stopped a annoying situation

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Off the top of my head, put a ring of vaseline around the outside of the roach colony bin. that should keep the ants from getting in it. then use those ant traps to get rid of them, assuming the roach colony is in a different room than the T's. the ant traps won't hurt the roaches. and i don't beleive there's fumes from them so they shouldn't hurt the T's, but why chance it?
Ts are in the same room as ants. But i will do the vaseline idea afterbi clean the tubs

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
notice a small ant issue happening due to food in dubia bins. Does anyone have any advice on handling this issue other then being more on top of taking out food more often?
After awhile you'll get a good idea of how much the colony will eat in a day or two. I just kind of wing it. If I feed them and it only takes a few hours for them to eat it, its not enough. I like to see a few leftovers the next day, that way im sure the babies all found food.
I see a gnat occasionally but they've never been an issue..knock on wood..

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After awhile you'll get a good idea of how much the colony will eat in a day or two. I just kind of wing it. If I feed them and it only takes a few hours for them to eat it, its not enough. I like to see a few leftovers the next day, that way im sure the babies all found food.
I see a gnat occasionally but they've never been an issue..knock on wood..
I have to be more on top of the food. Left a orange slice in the tub for longer then i should have. Now im home from work. I get to clean the tubs. But atleast its only two

Latest posts