• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dubia question for breeders

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
should be fine. their tropical, so they need the moisture as much as the heat. Care sheets i've read (and we know how accurate they are) list ideal temps around 95F and 60% or so humidity. If you look at the info on the seller's pages for Dubia they say water gels with the 90+ temps are ideal, the gels will evaporate enough to provide adequate humidity for breeding, and prevent drowning.

Just saw this also -
Some people can develop an allergy to dubia roaches or their frass (droppings) with too much handling and constant contact. This is more likely to occur if you are breeding roaches, since it will dramatically increase the intensity of contact. The best way to avoid developing an allergy is to handle your Dubia roaches in a well ventilated room, and wear gloves if possible.

Must be for people that handle them a lot. I can't stand the feel of their feet on me lol (but lateralis don't bother me for some weird reason) i never handle them, always use tongs for feedings.
Tho my breeding project is goin slow since i dont have alot of adults maybe 20 or so

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I suggest an inch of substrate. I don't find dead nymphs at all..only the occasional dead senior, usually female. They are found in rotted vegetation and leaf litter in the wild. Forest floor. I would also suggest that a tank completely dry with water crystals would be unnatural to them, and not conductive to a normal, healthy life, but breeders raise massive amounts that way, so I would be wrong. Just thinking out loud, I suppose. But I guess the substrate allows for them to flip themselves back over?
That would make sense. The sub probably helps them get a grip to right themselves

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is there supposed to be a bottom??? I was told its fine if its simply just the bottom of the tote!
it is. Some put a layer of substrate down to help keep the smell down that can build up after a while. I've never bothered with substrate. when my stupid roaches were actually breeding well i just cleaned the tub every other week or so.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
it is. Some put a layer of substrate down to help keep the smell down that can build up after a while. I've never bothered with substrate. when my stupid roaches were actually breeding well i just cleaned the tub every other week or so.
If you have a clean tub no smell happens. Cleaner beetles have helped with cleaning

Latest posts