• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dubia question for breeders

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought about using coco fib for the dubia. But seems likecit will be more messy. Special when harvesting the babies from the breeder tub
My collection of spiders is well under a hundred again now so I just pull a carton out and pick what I need off it, there's always all sizes in there :) I didnt change the actual substrate for almost two years, and when I did recently I kept half of the old stuff in there for the babies to nibble and crawl in, and put some new sub on top. Its been working for me, dubia have always been prolific.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
20170308_155041.jpg

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh im being anal about mine. I keep my feeders and breeders separate. And had the new feeders to the feeder tub every two months. I also feed the breeders slightly different then the feeders since i have to becareful what goes in them since i fees both my Ts and bearded dragon dubias

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
What are you using on the bottom of that tote?
I know that was to mass but I wanted to chime in as well lol I wanted to use eco earth or top soil but most care sheets say avoid substrate that cleaning will be a monumental task and they tend to stay in the egg crates only time I see one is when it's eating

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah just so everyone knows, most of the huge colonies that dubia sellers have are substrate-less. Those guys know more than I do, I just do what works for me. My roaches are well fed, healthy and fat and so are my spiders, so I'm happy. I have only had to supplement my colony once, because I fed almost every dubia nymph and lateralis nymph to baby scorps..there were a lot of them. A LOT. And they eat way more than spiderlings..

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Good, hope the new changes will fix your problem! :)
I have to say since I've started the misting on one side and covering some of the vents I have seen a lot more of them out in the misted side when I check on them and they are much more active and I have had no more deaths so thank you soooooo much for your advice! I'm sure the dubia would be pleased as well :D

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I have to say since I've started the misting on one side and covering some of the vents I have seen a lot more of them out in the misted side when I check on them and they are much more active and I have had no more deaths so thank you soooooo much for your advice! I'm sure the dubia would be pleased as well :D

Great to hear, glad the added moisture is doing them some good! Hope your dubia population explodes now! :D

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
Question for you guys - I just set up some Dubias in a plastic tub. No substrate. Egg crates, water gel crystals and veggies plus ferret food. I have found several nymphs on their backs and unable to right themselves, some dead. Any suggestions? Thanks!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
THey're like turtles, if they get flipped over and can't right themselves they'll die. I check my tub every other day and flip any over I find upside down when i do food and water gels.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
THey're like turtles, if they get flipped over and can't right themselves they'll die. I check my tub every other day and flip any over I find upside down when i do food and water gels.
as Kormath said they wont flip back over and sadly your only option is to flip them when you see them.. my nymphs appear very clumsy lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I suggest an inch of substrate. I don't find dead nymphs at all..only the occasional dead senior, usually female. They are found in rotted vegetation and leaf litter in the wild. Forest floor. I would also suggest that a tank completely dry with water crystals would be unnatural to them, and not conductive to a normal, healthy life, but breeders raise massive amounts that way, so I would be wrong. Just thinking out loud, I suppose. But I guess the substrate allows for them to flip themselves back over?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But I guess the substrate allows for them to flip themselves back over?
it does, i drop them on their backs in the T enclosures on purpose so they scramble and flail around to draw attention. They don't stay on their backs long, they either get eaten or flip themselves over.

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
How high can temps get for dubias? I ask because I'm thinking of moving them into my shop for the summer. It probably stays between 90 and 100F... That's cause it's 100 to 118F out! But it'll be warmer than the house where we keep it in the low 80s.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How high can temps get for dubias? I ask because I'm thinking of moving them into my shop for the summer. It probably stays between 90 and 100F... That's cause it's 100 to 118F out! But it'll be warmer than the house where we keep it in the low 80s.
should be fine. their tropical, so they need the moisture as much as the heat. Care sheets i've read (and we know how accurate they are) list ideal temps around 95F and 60% or so humidity. If you look at the info on the seller's pages for Dubia they say water gels with the 90+ temps are ideal, the gels will evaporate enough to provide adequate humidity for breeding, and prevent drowning.

Just saw this also -
Some people can develop an allergy to dubia roaches or their frass (droppings) with too much handling and constant contact. This is more likely to occur if you are breeding roaches, since it will dramatically increase the intensity of contact. The best way to avoid developing an allergy is to handle your Dubia roaches in a well ventilated room, and wear gloves if possible.

Must be for people that handle them a lot. I can't stand the feel of their feet on me lol (but lateralis don't bother me for some weird reason) i never handle them, always use tongs for feedings.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
should be fine. their tropical, so they need the moisture as much as the heat. Care sheets i've read (and we know how accurate they are) list ideal temps around 95F and 60% or so humidity. If you look at the info on the seller's pages for Dubia they say water gels with the 90+ temps are ideal, the gels will evaporate enough to provide adequate humidity for breeding, and prevent drowning.

Just saw this also -
Some people can develop an allergy to dubia roaches or their frass (droppings) with too much handling and constant contact. This is more likely to occur if you are breeding roaches, since it will dramatically increase the intensity of contact. The best way to avoid developing an allergy is to handle your Dubia roaches in a well ventilated room, and wear gloves if possible.

Must be for people that handle them a lot. I can't stand the feel of their feet on me lol (but lateralis don't bother me for some weird reason) i never handle them, always use tongs for feedings.
I'll wear gloves during tub cleaning/transfering nyphs from breeder tub to feeder tub. Which i do once a month.