• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia babies!

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
wow dubias once they start breeding their population explodes! it took the adults a couple months to start producing babies but now that they have started breeding almost every egg crate I check has numerous nymphs :D once I get my spiders eating dubia I'll never worry about buying feeders again! now if I could get crickets breeding I'd be well off! I'm surprised that crickets are more difficult to breed and dubia do all the work they just need food/water/warmth/humidity where as I'm still failing with crickets lol

edited to include that I checked on them again and actually witnessed a female giving birth to small white dubia! I wish my phone wasnt dead so I could have took a picture!!!

Last edited:

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Dubia roaches really are quite prolific.:)
Have been breeding them for a handful of years.

Recently, I decided on doing a half-a$$ed attempt at breeding crickets. Basically, just keeping their environment clean and I provided them with a container filled with soil, etc., (which I moisten periodically) to lay eggs in. Feed & water gel also provided of course.
Well, as it turns out, I am having some success. Actually have baby crickets.:)

A few years ago, I found that moist sphagnum moss also works for crickets to lay eggs in.
Found this out quite by accident when I found these very tiny insects in a couple of my gecko enclosures.
Freaked me out, at first, not knowing what these tiny invaders were.
Upon closer inspection, I discovered that these very tiny insects were "newborn" crickets!
Apparently a momma cricket, or two, had enough time to quickly lay their eggs, in the geckos' moist sphagnum moss, prior to their getting eaten by the geckos. LoL

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried breeding darkling beetles to make superworms. The beetles killed each other...I know I just need to read up on it some more to get it right, but its easier for me to just use roaches. As @Tricocyst is discovering, dubia are great. And lateralis too.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I tried breeding darkling beetles to make superworms. The beetles killed each other...I know I just need to read up on it some more to get it right, but its easier for me to just use roaches. As @Tricocyst is discovering, dubia are great. And lateralis too.

That is odd. I bred meal worms, and super worms, without the beetles killing each other.
The "aliens" (pupa), OTOH, would get eaten if left in the container with worms &/or beetles.
I would remove the "aliens" and place them in their own container.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is odd. I bred meal worms, and super worms, without the beatles killing each other.
The "aliens" (pupa), OTOH, would get eaten if left in the container with worms &/or beatles.
I would remove the "aliens" and place them in their own container.
Well, the thing is, I looked it up, said "oh that looks simple" and threw 4 beetles in together, with food. They ate some of the food, and two days later there were pieces everywhere and one beetle left. So I may have thrown four males in together? No idea. I do intend to try again sometime, it was a rather half assed effort :p