• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DD's First T Journal

sedge

3 Year Member
My DD (7 yo.) and I are first time T parents. To journal our experience, keep records, ask questions and share photos, I am starting this thread. If there is a more appropriate sub-forum, mods please move.

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017, we received a 1/2" Grammostola pulchripes from Jamie's Tarantulas. She believes it was born October 2016. We are assuming it was October 31st just to make its life journal more interesting.

6272b4aadcb6c338769a317b6fb0e018.jpg

We set up the enclosure, misting the substrate and moss, and introduced the baby.

c62617418f6b45614232129813e9a80e.jpg

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 we misted again and placed one pinhead B. lateralis in. We did not see the T consume, but there is no sign of the lat. so we are assuming it was devoured.

The T has been mostly hiding inside the corkbark cave, sometimes suspended from the ceiling, or wedged between it and the side of the enclosure.

Yesterday we noticed it made quite the burrow. Busy little girl (we are calling her a girl in hopeful anticipation).

3379c045cc64218c1cb4b30e38e8eb8b.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is there any danger that the spiderling can get buried in its burrow from cave-in and can't dig itself out?

No, don't worry, they're great diggers and will soon get themselves out.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well the obsession has started. We just ordered our second T.

"Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon pink bird eater) 1 1/2-2" suspect MALE #929" from Jamie's Tarantulas.

Looking hard at at Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens for a third.

Also thinking about an A. versicolor as a first aboreal.

you'll love all 3 of those :)

the LP is a great addition to any collection, but are on the fiesty side :) The GBB is a must have. If you get A. versicolor get a sling, watching them grow and the color changes it goes through at each molt are just amazing.

Very good choices :)

sedge

3 Year Member
Well if all it takes is a nod from @kormath, I am in serious trouble. Actually it was a little more than that. I watched a ton of videos and read a bunch. I added to the order two more Ts. So incoming are:
1. Lp;
2. GBB; and,
3. Versicolor.

On a side note, tonight was the second feeding for the GP. Now that it has a burrow , it's certainly attracts prey as a safe hiding space. Dropped in a pinhead lat and it's scurried right down into the little girl's clutches. Watching feeding videos is fantastic but seeing it first-hand, especially for the first time, is amazing.

sedge

3 Year Member
Three new arrivals...

Avicularia versicolor

9dd066775925137db900d59f34081f17.jpg
ec5a6eebbfef3491d453289635d5a099.jpg
48e26519c8635e242eb94bd9cf078c6d.jpg

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

6d81051b5c7ec09559db25425d0fc79e.jpg
5661be0fef088791d9559e9181b2a4fd.jpg
fbc8fe15ce14c12eaeeb042969ed6ef5.jpg

And finally...

Lasiodora parahybana

This one ran right up my daughter's arm and on the back of her neck. Boy this one is fast. 7 year old girl didn't flinch. Cupped the little Roadrunner very gently and got her into her enclosure.

19da1eee232d707ee920df477db46179.jpg
ac67ebd638388cadd2a69feb6bb8700d.jpg

New arrival group shot.

23c0c01954452aa3367a43244e1fda60.jpg

And a full family photo.

c2af547a25edaf4f0e641030d03ae71e.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on the new arrivals. Tell your daughter she's a clever girl :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice! i'd let hte GBB dry out though, they're a dry species. Both of ours will retreat to the opposite corner of the enclosure if we get moisture on the side from filling the water. they're almost as bad as a G. rosea with that.

Glad your girl didn't freak out with the LP attempting escape ;) Avic's are much faster, but they run in spurts. Sprint for a few yards then stop then sprint again and repeat. And the slings like to jump. The only escape i've had with our verisicolor, it ran over the desk top half way down the side, then paused, then jumped to the floor and bolted for the bed. Luckily it paused just over half way there and we able to catch it. Getting it out from under a teenager's bed would have been a nightmare come true ;)

sedge

3 Year Member
@kormath...Thank you.

The versicolor ran up her arm too but paused and was easily and delicately caught.

The dew drops on the GBB's enclosure have dissipated. What you saw in the picture was just some water drops when I used a mister to fill up the water dish on the one side. The rest of the substrate I left dry. I did mist the moss a bit. What's funny is that's exactly where he went and has stayed ever since. On top of the moss. He is acting like an arboreal. Both he and the versicolor have spun some nice webs. The birdeater has done a lot of Earth moving and is holed up under the cork tunnel. He blockaded one side.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Congrats on the molt!
As pointed out, by Nicolas, leaving the molt will not cause a problem.
If you do, carefully, remove it, but cause a wee bit of web damage, the T will, very likely, simply web over the damage or just create more web otherwise.

sedge

3 Year Member
Haven't checked in for a while. Just wanted to let you all know that all four tarantulas are doing well and molting and getting bigger and eating and everything else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts