• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CHEAP P METALLICA

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I hope you haven't ordered one yet. Even in the UK we've heard of their bad reputation and if you do a search for them on here you'll find some feedback on them..

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have never heard anything good about backwater reptiles they have a terrible rep and customer service i hear is the worst.

Annie

3 Year Member
I personally buy all my animals from there. Great service, great animals. I know they have bad rep, but they have gotten a lot better! I bought a Euathlus Sp Red from there and she arrived healthy happy and active. I really really recommend them!!!!!!! I've bought three snakes, a tortoise, an iguana and a tarantula from them and they all arrived in excellent condition.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally buy all my animals from there. Great service, great animals. I know they have bad rep, but they have gotten a lot better! I bought a Euathlus Sp Red from there and she arrived healthy happy and active. I really really recommend them!!!!!!! I've bought three snakes, a tortoise, an iguana and a tarantula from them and they all arrived in excellent condition.
oh well its good to see that they r trying. U r the first ive heard say anything good about them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No offense intended, but if you search reviews on them, for every one post like yours there's ten saying the exact opposite. It's been like that for as long as I've been in the hobby. They are a middleman..they have no idea what theyre shipping. There's just way too many places with excellent reviews and reputations for me personally to ever take the chance of ordering from them. I am glad they've worked out for you, though.

Eli824

3 Year Member
Just decided to ( against my better judgement ) purchase a Goliath pink toe from them as stamps has them listed at $250.00+$44.95 shipping and the had them for what I remember was $85.00+- and $39.00 shipping well what came in was a horrible looking Tarantula that obviously was malnourished I fed it and it did eat well but from what I could tell it was a common Stirmi and what's worse when I contacted them I told them basically while they listed a T apophysis for sale what I got was a T Stirmi I gave pictures of both to compare and they told me since it was still living they would not be able to refund me and they couldn't confirm what I was telling them because I could just have easily switched out T's honestly I responded like this ( you sold me a Theraposa malnourished or not they basically sell for what I paid you anyways the only reason I bought from you was because the rare Theraposa Apophysis is not only uncommon but sells for significantly more what would be the reason for me to deal with the headache of returning a T that's valued at what already paid just to lose $39.00 on shipping ? ) they had no answer and just told me they wouldn't refund me I already had Stirmi so I gave the T to my cousin he loves it and tells me it's doing fine eating well and growing fast so maybe they do have healthy tarantulas but they hardly feed them and they couldn't differentiate between two distinct species

And my apologies for posting on what seems to be an old discussion but I just wanted to let people know about this site

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Just decided to ( against my better judgement ) purchase a Goliath pink toe from them as stamps has them listed at $250.00+$44.95 shipping and the had them for what I remember was $85.00+- and $39.00 shipping well what came in was a horrible looking Tarantula that obviously was malnourished I fed it and it did eat well but from what I could tell it was a common Stirmi and what's worse when I contacted them I told them basically while they listed a T apophysis for sale what I got was a T Stirmi I gave pictures of both to compare and they told me since it was still living they would not be able to refund me and they couldn't confirm what I was telling them because I could just have easily switched out T's honestly I responded like this ( you sold me a Theraposa malnourished or not they basically sell for what I paid you anyways the only reason I bought from you was because the rare Theraposa Apophysis is not only uncommon but sells for significantly more what would be the reason for me to deal with the headache of returning a T that's valued at what already paid just to lose $39.00 on shipping ? ) they had no answer and just told me they wouldn't refund me I already had Stirmi so I gave the T to my cousin he loves it and tells me it's doing fine eating well and growing fast so maybe they do have healthy tarantulas but they hardly feed them and they couldn't differentiate between two distinct species

And my apologies for posting on what seems to be an old discussion but I just wanted to let people know about this site

I actually saw the same pricing and cinsidered buying one as well since they were so darn cheap. I knew about the bad reviews and decided it wasn't worth the risk. Glad I didn't and glad your cousin is enjoying the stirmi!

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Backwater is cheap because they pray on people not willing to spend money on the animals cost and sell you it cheaper and its a roll of the dice if your animal will be healthly or not or be alive or not. But either way they take money and no refund. Save up the extra money and buy from a person who will sell you a high quality animal and if something were to go wrong handle the situation better then Crapwater ,I mean backwater.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Backwater is, primarily, a drop shipper.
Never really know just what you are going to get nor who it will actually come from.
Customer service isn't always the best, with these type of companies, either. Not difficult to figure out why.;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There may be a few excellent suppliers that use backwater to handle transactions, but they are outnumbered by immoral asshats that pass off stirmi as blondi or apophysis. Personally, after looking at each species and researching them...the stirmi is superior, in my opinion. Hardier is better, with any invert. Just my opinion, I do like the legs on the apophysis though..