• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chaco Golden Knee Sling Worries

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dear, stop feeding it so much. Make sure your baby has a full water dish, a nice hide and deep enough sub to burrow in. Keep the water dish full and don't feed! Wait a few days. 5 or so. Then feed one small prey item. If it doesn't take in in a couple hours remove it and wait again. 4-5 days.
As kormath said, if it's molted recently don't disturb or feed for a while! If you feed to early you can seriously damage their fangs.

TSeav

3 Year Member
My sons golden knee just started doing something very odd, a behavior I've not seen. I am not new to T keeping however she is our first golden knee.
She is hanging on the wall of her terrarium with her abdomen sticking out at a 90degree angle.
I'm pretty certain that there isn't anything wrong, she just ate healthily yesterday but am perplexed as to what this behavior means.
I tried to add a photo but don't know how (I'm using an iPad)

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
My sons golden knee just started doing something very odd, a behavior I've not seen. I am not new to T keeping however she is our first golden knee.
She is hanging on the wall of her terrarium with her abdomen sticking out at a 90degree angle.
I'm pretty certain that there isn't anything wrong, she just ate healthily yesterday but am perplexed as to what this behavior means.

Sorry for the late reply, is she still doing this? Could she be stuck?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like the butt raised defensive posture to make themselves look bigger to other predators. Is there prey in the enclosure with it?

some of my smaller slings, like Satin the G. pulchra and Buddha the G. rosea would do this going into premolt if there was a roach in their enclosure.

RootinTootinPig

3 Year Member
Hello. How do i put a waterdish for a cm size chaco sling? I just got it a week ago. It just stays at the top of the lid and always tries to escape when feeding it. I'm thinking if there's a problem with the substrate???? Idk. Helpp

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello. How do i put a waterdish for a cm size chaco sling? I just got it a week ago. It just stays at the top of the lid and always tries to escape when feeding it. I'm thinking if there's a problem with the substrate???? Idk. Helpp
that size the substrate should be slightly moist, so they can easily burrow into it. Water dish can be a bottle cap, like from a 20oz coke or something similar. You can put aquarium gravel in the cap to keep the crickets or other prey from drowning, you'll have to fill it more often though.

Nathan

3 Year Member
Hello everyone, don't know if you guys are still on here but worth a try......
I have a tiny sling gold knee, it's dug right down in its hide and blocked the entrance of the hide.
It's been like it for a week I have left It in peace, there's no signs of pre molt as yet just wondering if it's just down to getting use to the enclosure.
I'm a noob to these sites lol bare with me ;)

Nathan

3 Year Member
that size the substrate should be slightly moist, so they can easily burrow into it. Water dish can be a bottle cap, like from a 20oz coke or something similar. You can put aquarium gravel in the cap to keep the crickets or other prey from drowning, you'll have to fill it more often though.

Hello everyone, don't know if you guys are still on here but worth a try......
I have a tiny sling gold knee, it's dug right down in its hide and blocked the entrance of the hide.
It's been like it for a week I have left It in peace, there's no signs of pre molt as yet just wondering if it's just down to getting use to the enclosure.
I'm a noob to these sites lol bare with me ;)

Nathan

3 Year Member
Should point out......
I removed some of the substrate blocking the hide. And there was no sign of premolt, just the abdomen is smaller compared to before the little guy decided to lock its self away lol.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Should point out......
I removed some of the substrate blocking the hide. And there was no sign of premolt, just the abdomen is smaller compared to before the little guy decided to lock its self away lol.
it's hiding from the world. Let it do it's thing. They're nocturnal so he could be venturing out at night, then going back to the safety of the hide for the day. Try putting prey in the enclosure, the size of, or smaller than it's abdomen. For tiny slings pinhead crickets will work, crush their head and leave it near the hide, or pinhead S. lateralis roaches (Red Racers) work well as food. I've also used small meal worms and chopped their heads off.

If the prey is still there in the morning remove it and try again in a day or 2. They won't starve themselves ;)

Nathan

3 Year Member
Thanks for getting back to me on this I have just been a little paranoid cus the substrate don't look like it's been moved the blocking of the hide that is.
But I put a cricket in there and there's webbing all around the blocking substrate which has never been there before. And the cricket was gone the next day, the other times I done it the little guy just wasn't hungry.
Thanks again kormath Much appreciated mah friend....

it's hiding from the world. Let it do it's thing. They're nocturnal so he could be venturing out at night, then going back to the safety of the hide for the day. Try putting prey in the enclosure, the size of, or smaller than it's abdomen. For tiny slings pinhead crickets will work, crush their head and leave it near the hide, or pinhead S. lateralis roaches (Red Racers) work well as food. I've also used small meal worms and chopped their heads off.

If the prey is still there in the morning remove it and try again in a day or 2. They won't starve themselves ;)
for

ChocoGoldieHawn

Hi! First time tarantula owner here. My sling is roughly a year old. She has taken to staying in her substrate in her hide and I haven't seen her for weeks. She has been doing this thing where she hides for months without eating. I dug her out about a month ago and fed her, she stayed out for a day or so then went back underground. I popped a cricket in there afterwards and she hasn't touched it. Is it normal for them to go this long without eating? When she was a tiny sling she was out all the time moving substrate around and putting webs up everywhere. Now she has covered up her hide and won't come out.

nedaK

Hi! First time tarantula owner here. My sling is roughly a year old. She has taken to staying in her substrate in her hide and I haven't seen her for weeks. She has been doing this thing where she hides for months without eating. I dug her out about a month ago and fed her, she stayed out for a day or so then went back underground. I popped a cricket in there afterwards and she hasn't touched it. Is it normal for them to go this long without eating? When she was a tiny sling she was out all the time moving substrate around and putting webs up everywhere. Now she has covered up her hide and won't come out.
This is a dead thread.

Latest posts