• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Buying 2nd instar scorplings and slings.

Telson

3 Year Member
I just wanted to share my experiences purchasing 2nd instars. I've only bought one sling at that size, and it died one day after arrival. Ive purchased several scorplings at that size, all recently, and I've lost 4 out of maybe 15 of them, to unknown causes. I had seen a few veteran breeders suggest to people that they shouldn't buy them that small, and I'm finding out rather quickly that they were right. Of course when theres lots of babies in a brood, or sac, some just aren't meant to make it, but most of the sickly ones will perish before 3i, and scorps and tarantulas both seem to become a little tougher once they reach that mark, and less prone to die suddenly for unknown reasons. Just a little advice: 3i is the magic number. Don't waste your money. Breeders know all this, but some will sell them to you anyway. Beware people trying to unload 2i babies as fast as they can.

timc

3 Year Member
One of the benefits of not being able to find food for slings that small is that I don't waste my money on them. I did once on a teeny tiny LP that was like a speck of dust that would move around. For the two weeks (maybe? This was a number of years ago and I really don't remember) I had the little guy it wouldn't eat any chopped up food, wouldn't drink, didn't molt, and was dead one morning when I woke up. Thanks for bringing attention to this because I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones who have had bad experiences like these. It does stink when it happens but those sellers are out to make money, so it's on the buyer to be aware of what is and what isn't worth spending their money on.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One of the benefits of not being able to find food for slings that small is that I don't waste my money on them. I did once on a teeny tiny LP that was like a speck of dust that would move around. For the two weeks (maybe? This was a number of years ago and I really don't remember) I had the little guy it wouldn't eat any chopped up food, wouldn't drink, didn't molt, and was dead one morning when I woke up. Thanks for bringing attention to this because I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones who have had bad experiences like these. It does stink when it happens but those sellers are out to make money, so it's on the buyer to be aware of what is and what isn't worth spending their money on.
agreed, although if you do happen to get a tiny sling like this (here we go again :D) get the Little Kenyan roaches. nymphs are about 2mm and full size is about 1/2", great alternative to fruit flies. Only problem is they will burrow, but not as bad or quick as the dubia roaches and such.

My little bitty L. itabunae i'd have to guess is 2i when purchased, maybe 3i, i'm not sure what sizes they are at that stage and she was just a hair over 3/8" dls. She ate a little kenyan the first day, then burried herself away. Since then the little kenyans have molted and grown and aren't small enough, So i'm saving those to let them breed and hopefully start a colony. Wednesday i squished the head of a lat and put it by her burrow (she had the burrow entrance opened tuesday afternoon when i looked) and by the time i was done feed all the others the roach was nowhere in site. I removed the waterdish to see if it had squirmed under it in it's death spasms but nope, i'm positive she snuck out and drug the carcass into her burrow :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really hard to say because it depends on a lot of factors. But a typical B boehmei egg sack has about 600 to 1000 babies inside.
-Blinks-.....and yet they still demand a pretty penny when you try to buy them...hard to breed?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
-Blinks-.....and yet they still demand a pretty penny when you try to buy them...hard to breed?
I didn't think they were that expensive, about the same as my smithi and others. B. albo is the lowest cost next to my G. rosea and B. vagans. I paid 15 each for my 2 albo's, $10 for my rosea, $ 9.99 for the vagans, $30 for my smithi, and $30 for the boehmei.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Think if I had a thousand healthy eating slings I'd be pretty greedy to ask thirty bucks for them.

Latest posts