• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner species

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In my view you can't go wrong with a Brachypelma especially the B. albopilosum. They are hairy, great feeders and if you get a sling they are great diggers giving you the fun of watching them working away but as adults they like to sit in full view.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any of the Brachypelma would be a good beginner, personally i like the B. vagans the most. They're larger than the other Brachy's and have a little more attitude from what i've experienced.

Another beginner i really like is the GBB, or Green Bottle Blue. Great eaters, and they web everything which i think is really cool.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
As said above, any brachypelma species, gbb and most grammostola species as well. All make good beginners. How about Aphonopelma though? A.seemanni is a hobby classic that I never hear recommend for beginners anymore but a must have in my opinion. A.chalcodes make good beginners too.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Again, I find myself in agreement with Tgotty90. B. Albopilosum is a great starter species. But, Aphonopelma is often overlooked. Most are handleable. Great eaters who also perform a lot of interior re-decorating. Slightly more expensive, but also a good option is E. Campostratus: gentle and those pink hairs are adorable.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I recommend:

1. E. Sp. red: as slings extremely small, the species has a very slow growth, they fast from time to time, very mellow.

E. Sp. yellow: read E. Sp. red description above, good luck finding one if this species makes it to your list, as they are very hard to find, I was lucky enough to get five slings because I was the first to inquire.

B. albopilosum: read the descriptions those above me left.

G. pulchripes: the get huge, from my experience they are great eaters even as slings. I only have a sling of this species and it is amusing to watch come feeding time.

B. emilia: excellent eaters, I have a pair, the colors are amazing, all I can say is go check out some pictures of this species in the various photo threads here on the forum.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
B vagans can be hit or miss. Some are chill others not so much.
E.sp red,blue,green are super chill. But they will take a long time to grow. They also only get to be Bout 3.5" what kind of T would you like? Do you want one that is gonna be huge? Do you want one that will make webs?

Floris2003

3 Year Member
First of all, thank you for reacting so fast. I live in the Netherlands, we have the CITES-B list, do I have to take in account with that? The B. albopilosum is on that list. And also: why are hairs a positive thing? I think it would be very cool to have a spider that digs, I think a spider is more of an observational pet, so I don't have to touch my spider.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First of all, thank you for reacting so fast. I live in the Netherlands, we have the CITES-B list, do I have to take in account with that? The B. albopilosum is on that list. And also: why are hairs a positive thing? I think it would be very cool to have a spider that digs, I think a spider is more of an observational pet, so I don't have to touch my spider.

I think small spiders would be awesome. I prefer to have a small spider.

I too love the dwarf Ts and especially ones that dig and web a lot. Some of my favourites are the Phlogiellus species which do both as slings but as they get older they spend some of their time on the surface.

This is what they do in a vial
DSCF1281 (2).JPG

I've got a few of these for sale at the moment http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/phlogiellus-atriceps-locality-bogor.20238/ if anyone is interested.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Floris2003

3 Year Member

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So it is just for looks?
those hairs yes.

They have tiny hairs called trichoborthria that act as their ears. These hairs are extremely sensitive, some can pick up air movement as minute as a ten billionth of a meter. When a roach runs across the substrate they feel the air movement with the hairs and know exactly where that roach is at all times.

Pretty fascinating stuff :) https://www.wired.com/2011/12/spider-leg-hair-hearing/