• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic versicolor ventral

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
My versicolor molted over the weekend, and as luck would have it, destroyed the molt lol. Anyway since its ventured out tonight i managed to get a pic of it against the side of the enclosure. Woyld anyone like to take an educated guess for me [emoji4]
e3ce0a490640ee5bbbe78e4b527e0b31.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would say female.
Here is what advice I was given. ...
Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs.
Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together.

Also, usually in males there will appear to be a "belly button" between the top two book lungs and in females there appears to be a set of "lips" between the top two book lungs (exuvium area).

Hope that helps buddy ☺

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Thanks phil, thats exactly what i used to look at this myself, but like i said, i didnt know if i was seeing what i wanted to see lol. Fingers crossed it doesnt destroy the next molt then i can hopefully confirm 100% [emoji3]

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your insticts and elementary learning serve you well, young Jedi..On a serious note, arboreals are more difficult for me, always have been, and I've been wrong a few times before..ok, several, but I learn as I go. Like a caveman..water, a drop of dish soap, and a dry molt, add a touch of digital microscope, and you have assurance. Just my dos pesos, mi amigos.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Your insticts and elementary learning serve you well, young Jedi..On a serious note, arboreals are more difficult for me, always have been, and I've been wrong a few times before..ok, several, but I learn as I go. Like a caveman..water, a drop of dish soap, and a dry molt, add a touch of digital microscope, and you have assurance. Just my dos pesos, mi amigos.
Sexing tarantulas, difficult, can be.
Spoken the truth about molts, you have.
In the microscope, the force is.Yes, hmm.

Latest posts