• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone with other pets?

Annabellam

3 Year Member
Hello guys. Wondering if anyone else have a dog. I have been having problems with mine running across the yard which is not in good shape and into the neighbours compound. A friend recommended that i get this wireless dog fence. Has anyone used it before and did it work? Appreciate help and advice.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have three dogs but several sections of fenced off yard. Never tried wireless. When I first bought the property I walked my pit around the perimeter and would pee at the corners. The dog followed suit. I walked her every day after that, around the perimeter, and she would mark her territory. After correcting her for crossing the invisible line a few times, she never left our yard, but eventually I fenced it all.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have friends here with the invisible fence. works well if you use the shock collar with it. otherwise they learn the beep isn't doing anything and ignore it. One friend's dog is masochistic and likes the shock though, he'll run zizags back and forth across the "line" and then flop in the middle of the back yard panting. Keep telling them they need a stronger shock collar, but they say no, they'd have to get one that would kill the dog. So now he's tethered to a stake in the back yard. Their other dog though has quit wearing the collar and knows where the boundary is. He'll run right up to the invisible line and stand there barking at whatever. If you try and get him to cross he'll start shivering and whining. I think that dog got the brains for both of them ;)

Marija

3 Year Member
I have two American staffordshire terriers, and never had problems with them. My yard is fenced but ever since they were puppies I would leave the yard gate open and slowly taught them that they shouldn't go through it. Now I can leave the gate fully open, leave and they won't even think about going into the street. I'm highly against shock collars, and like Mass said, it only takes some training. :)
What kind of pup you got? Picture maybe? :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have two American staffordshire terriers, and never had problems with them. My yard is fenced but ever since they were puppies I would leave the yard gate open and slowly taught them that they shouldn't go through it. Now I can leave the gate fully open, leave and they won't even think about going into the street. I'm highly against shock collars, and like Mass said, it only takes some training. :)
What kind of pup you got? Picture maybe? :)
my pup? tons of pics ;)

One of my favorites -
Resized_20160711_122103.jpg

Named him Tigger, before his first grooming he was brown and reddish colored, kind of like... Tigger at that age he was jumpy and energetic so the name fit ;) then he got his first grooming and turned silver.

He's 5, weighs 4-5 lbs. He's a Morkie, maltese and yorkshire terrier cross, more maltese in him than yorkshire.

As for shock collars, they have a use as a last resort for training the untrainable, or to get your brother back for the cattle prod at the country strore ;)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally, I would never use any adverse training methods like shock collars (it looks like they will be banned in Scotland anyway). I've always had large powerful dogs - German Shepherds, Husky X and now a Wolfdog (the breed, not the hybrid) - and have never needed to use any of those.

For me it's all about boundary training if you are unable to erect a fence, though even with a fence boundary training is very helpful. Until this is established, maybe not let the dog(s) out unaccompanied. Maybe this link helps:
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/2409

BTW, these are my spoiled pooches, Storm (Husky X) and Nevis (Czech, Vlcak):
UQneEkX.jpg

UdsPHZi.jpg

Marija

3 Year Member
my pup? tons of pics ;)

One of my favorites -
View attachment 22824

Named him Tigger, before his first grooming he was brown and reddish colored, kind of like... Tigger at that age he was jumpy and energetic so the name fit ;) then he got his first grooming and turned silver.

He's 5, weighs 4-5 lbs. He's a Morkie, maltese and yorkshire terrier cross, more maltese in him than yorkshire.

As for shock collars, they have a use as a last resort for training the untrainable, or to get your brother back for the cattle prod at the country strore ;)
He's very hansome :) Love the name and it suits him. Here are my two
Ares
IMG_4786.JPG

And his daughter Una
IMG_4787.JPG

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He's very hansome :) Love the name and it suits him. Here are my two
Ares
View attachment 22833
And his daughter Una
View attachment 22834
nice!

i've worn a shock collar, the shock isn't that bad, highest setting doesn't hurt, but does get your attention. like sticking your tongue on the 2 points of a 9volt battery. i'd rather be shocked by the collar than the cattle prods ;)

My older brother and I, probably middle school age, used to go with my grandpa to the Cal Ranch and other country stores. We got kicked out of a couple from chasing each other with cattle prods. Cattle prods hurt!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
nice!

i've worn a shock collar, the shock isn't that bad, highest setting doesn't hurt, but does get your attention. like sticking your tongue on the 2 points of a 9volt battery. i'd rather be shocked by the collar than the cattle prods ;)

My older brother and I, probably middle school age, used to go with my grandpa to the Cal Ranch and other country stores. We got kicked out of a couple from chasing each other with cattle prods. Cattle prods hurt!
You're so country, lol!!! :)

Marija

3 Year Member
I hear staffys are good dogs. I bet it's a breeze walking both of them.
They are good pups. Walking them both at the same time can be difficult sometimes cause they tend to get competitive who will walk faster and such lol, but in general they are awesome. Once a staffy, always a staffy :D

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like we have twins !

Mine is male also, still feeding on pinkys.
Mine is already eating adult mice.....and tried to eat my creamcicle corn.

I had both of them out on the bed while I cleaned their cages....my daughter was holding one and Liam held his king snake....next thing I know, the king had the corn by the side of the head ready to wrap him up. I had to pry his mouth off of him.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
Mine is already eating adult mice.....and tried to eat my creamcicle corn.

I had both of them out on the bed while I cleaned their cages....my daughter was holding one and Liam held his king snake....next thing I know, the king had the corn by the side of the head ready to wrap him up. I had to pry his mouth off of him.
Cannibalistic little guys for sure!

That's why you shouldn't kill the kings that hang around your house, they will eat the unwanted snakes. We had a corn but she passed away a couple months a go :(

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cannibalistic little guys for sure!

That's why you shouldn't kill the kings that hang around your house, they will eat the unwanted snakes. We had a corn but she passed away a couple months a go :(

Oh yeah....they eat Rattlers and copperheads....they're bad ass. That's sad about your corn.. they are beautiful snakes.

Latest posts