• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another new face in the community

Nova

3 Year Member
Hello! I've owned a G. Rosea (F) for about 3 years, and recently have been finding myself with a good deal of questions that aren't answered to my satisfaction on the internet. Such as, how do I safely ship a tarantula across the country with the lowest risk of injury? I'm moving to Maryland in a few months here, and this is causing me no small amount of anxiety...I've considered trying to convince whatever airline I use that she's my carry-on, and simply bringing her on the plane in a small carrying cage, but I'm not sure how well they'd take to that :(

Another thing I've been looking at doing for awhile is breeding her! But I have -no idea- where to start with that...I don't have a male, and don't know any of the funny details. When I move to Maryland, I should have room to set up a proper spider area, and begin getting more arachnids (looking at picking up a scorpion at some point in the future! They're so pretty), but where would I want to start with breeding? And if it was successful, what would I do with all the babes?
Ahh, I have a lot of questions, and can't wait to get involved in this community! I'll post pics of my girl when I have some better lighting in her terrarium ^^;
Notes about her: She's abouttt 5 - 7 years old, I got her off of someone on Craigslist and they weren't sure, but I've had her for about 3 years and she's molted once, so I'm presuming she's around that age? Her name is Chimera, and for awhile she was fairly friendly and handleable, but after my cat dropped her tank on the floor (she was miraculously unharmed, thank god), I haven't really tried handling her again out of fear that her next tumble would be less survivable.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome @Nova.
I'd recommend you pack her as if you were going to ship her via post to someone else:
One option:
Get a drammel vial with a plastic top. Line it, including the bottom with moistened thin ace bandages.
Put Chimera in the fridge for 5 minutes (she will be lethargic and easy to handle). Place her in the drammel vial and cover the top with a moist bandage.
Make plenty of air holes in the plastic top.
(Make sure she is not near a molt--she will not do well)
Put her in your carry-on bag. She should not trigger any questions.
If you are concerned at the airport, mail her to your new address with plenty of styrofoam and bubble wrap.
She should do well for at least a week in that manner.

PS: consider PM to @Casey K. She ships spiders to us affictionados all of the time. She will have some great ideas for you.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome @Nova.
I'd recommend you pack her as if you were going to ship her via post to someone else:
One option:
Get a drammel vial with a plastic top. Line it, including the bottom with moistened thin ace bandages.
Put Chimera in the fridge for 5 minutes (she will be lethargic and easy to handle). Place her in the drammel vial and cover the top with a moist bandage.
Make plenty of air holes in the plastic top.
(Make sure she is not near a molt--she will not do well)
Put her in your carry-on bag. She should not trigger any questions.
If you are concerned at the airport, mail her to your new address with plenty of styrofoam and bubble wrap.
She should do well for at least a week in that manner.

PS: consider PM to @Casey K. She ships spiders to us affictionados all of the time. She will have some great ideas for you.

Thank you, sweety! :) It would be my pleasure to offer @Nova advice on how to pack. :) Just send me a pm @Nova if you need help and welcome to Tarantula Forum! Very nice community we have here. :)

Nova

3 Year Member
Thanks y'all for the warm welcome! Sorry for not replying-- I've been super busy. Right after I posted, my work schedule changed for the worse and I've been scrambling since then to try and keep up :p
tumblr_o67m359sqz1skwg1yo1_1280.jpg

This is a picture of her, by the by!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks y'all for the warm welcome! Sorry for not replying-- I've been super busy. Right after I posted, my work schedule changed for the worse and I've been scrambling since then to try and keep up :p
tumblr_o67m359sqz1skwg1yo1_1280.jpg

This is a picture of her, by the by!

She's a beauty.

Latest posts