• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ambitious 1i Poecilotheria regalis

Thistles

3 Year Member
I've got a bunch of regalis 1i incubating right now, and one of them is dragging around a molt. I grasped the molt with tongs, and he came with it. Not wanting to hurt him, I gently set him on my hand and attempted to dislodge the molt. It isn't stuck to his legs, but it appears that the top part of the opisthosoma is clinging on. I felt a weird scraping on my index finger, and look to see his little chelicerae busily chomping at my finger! He didn't penetrate the skin, but the tiny booger definitely tried!

I've never had such a tiny beast try to bite. I know sometimes early instar poecs will cannibalize, but that's something I'd expect from an ornata, not a little regalis. I'm impressed with his chutzpah.

Telson

3 Year Member
I've got a bunch of regalis 1i incubating right now, and one of them is dragging around a molt. I grasped the molt with tongs, and he came with it. Not wanting to hurt him, I gently set him on my hand and attempted to dislodge the molt. It isn't stuck to his legs, but it appears that the top part of the opisthosoma is clinging on. I felt a weird scraping on my index finger, and look to see his little chelicerae busily chomping at my finger! He didn't penetrate the skin, but the tiny booger definitely tried!

I've never had such a tiny beast try to bite. I know sometimes early instar poecs will cannibalize, but that's something I'd expect from an ornata, not a little regalis. I'm impressed with his chutzpah.
I agree with timc, I'd keep that one:D

Telson

3 Year Member
I never really got around to naming mine. A few, but mostly I refer to them by their proper sp names. Or fond nicknames for the difficult ones, which i'll refrain from repeating here :)