• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Accidental newby from California

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
My Alphonopelma is my favorite T. She is always out and about. Loves to rearrange her enclosure, Only hides when she is molting, and does some bizarre trance-like movements. She even climbs the walls of the enclosure at night.
Great T to start the addiction.
Your arachnophobia may morph in the near future to "Hi I'm Calico, and I admit that I have a T addiction disorder. I cannot control it so I am giving it up to a higher power" :p

At the moment my G.porteri - has become my favorite - not only cute but all over the place - walls - burrow - floor - and no fear(but not defensive either) when I 'invade' 'her' space - she is about 1-1/2 inch and I have had 'her' since December / maybe double in size. She is 'Jesse". I should try to get a pic of her - have new phone with better camera since I got her!

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
IMG_20170524_184457021.jpg

Calico

3 Year Member
I must admit, I am getting a little "hooked"!! I have been reading everybody's posts, pictures and suggestions and I find myself saying "hmmm, that's a nice looking one". Maybe.....

I've heard mention of dwarf species. What types are they? I would consider, maybe, another if it stayed small. Lord, never thought I'd hear myself say that!!

Also, is 1 1/2" too small to tell what sex it is? I think I got a decent picture today.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
I have a dwarf - it is Euthalus sp. red - a Chilean Flame - it is about 1/4 inch right now - they start out really small! I can only see it sometimes. LOL But it has the reputation for being very docile but also curious - Tom at Tom's Big Spiders says it is one of the only ones he handles because it spontaneously crawls up in his hand to check him out when he is cleaning!. I hope mine will grow up for me. I suspect if you Google 'dwarf tarantulas' there will be a list. or link.
I don't know about size + determining gender - I do know when it molts you can send the exoskeleton to Kelly Swift and he will sex it for you for free - see [email protected] - he is a great resource. adults molt about 1x/year.

Calico

3 Year Member
Your arachnophobia may morph in the near future to "Hi I'm Calico, and I admit that I have a T addiction disorder. I cannot control it so I am giving it up to a higher power" :p

I think it is happening! I am finding myself looking at everything someone posts they have. Any suggestions as to what would be a good second addition? I love the colorful ones and the little hairy ones :). I have been drawn to the B.Klassi and B.Smithi. Anything anyone can tell me about them or if there are any others that might interest me.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well, there are many to enjoy! Why not try a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens: heavy webbers, beautiful colors, rather visible? Or Davus pentaloris? Or Hapalopus sp. Columbia large?

About the Brachypelma: you can't go wrong. They are all beautiful, not very active, and some like to kick hairs a lot, though. Pick up the one you like the best (my favorite are B hamorii (= smithi), B albiceps and B klaasi. But B boehmei or B auratum are beauties too.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, sorry im late to the party. Awesome you took the lil dude in, enjoy your new friend, sure he will lead you to more Ts in the near future. These are amazing animals to keep, and one is never enough it seems. If you have caught the bug, as Nicolas C said c.cyaneopubescen and most Brachypelma make great additions. Grammostola and aphonopelma species are great starters too. There's so many though you really can't go wrong. Just enjoy your little stow away and have fun on your journey through this wonderful hobby.

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
Hi all! I am totally new at this as I became a tarantula owner by accident. My husband went camping in the California desert and this little guy hitched a ride home with him in one of his bags! Now, I am the biggest arachnophobe there is and I never imagined I'd be one to even consider having a tarantula. But when we couldn't find any place that would take it and a 2 hour drive back to the desert, we decided to take the leap and give him a home.
So "Cal" and I will be asking lots of questions to try to help make this relationship work and I thank you all for letting us join your group.
Here is a picture of the moment he was discovered. He's definitely a baby or juvie as he's only about 2 inches. I think he is a Desert Blonde from what I have researched. If someone thinks otherwise, I'd like to know for sure.
Thank you!!
View attachment 24073
good luck with desert blond it will take many year to become adult about 10 to 15 years. or more.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
hi again Calico - your spidie is adorable - and a nice size! measurement is from one toe to the opposite toe in back (or so I have been led to believe) so it may be bigger than 2" right now! you do not have to 'handle' it at all if you are fearful(you might drop it if you or it gets startled anyway and that is curtains for the spider! lots of us never touch our spiders ) if you have to move it - as it grows if needs new enclosure - there are youtube videos about ways to do it(you probably already saw some) - so glad(again)you kept it! I am continually charmed by mine..I have a couple of 1/4"(yes!)babies and they haul the bits of food I give to their burrows or hides - it is amazing. I know I already sent a photo of my show off G. porteri - she (?) is still only about 1 1/2" and she almost never hides which is awesome! keep in touch...

Arnel Pahuriray

3 Year Member
At the moment my G.porteri - has become my favorite - not only cute but all over the place - walls - burrow - floor - and no fear(but not defensive either) when I 'invade' 'her' space - she is about 1-1/2 inch and I have had 'her' since December / maybe double in size. She is 'Jesse". I should try to get a pic of her - have new phone with better camera since I got her!
flip the spider upside down," I'll tell you if that female or a male, and then take a picture post it.

Latest posts