• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A new moss vivarium setup for my P. ultramarinus

michaelcng

3 Year Member
Gynura aurantica "Purple Passion" for a vibrant splash of color. Sagina subulata "Scotch Moss," Tillandia usneoides "Spanish Moss, Cladonia rangiferina "Reindeer Moss," and "Selaginella Kraussiana "Golden Moss" for texture. I cut down cork bark to create a little cave and reinforced the top with a piece of petrified wood.

To catch any water overflow, the bottom is covered with a layer of rocks. Another thin layer of activated carbon is added on top to filtrate impurities and eliminate odors. About 3 inches of Zilla Jungle Mix is added to the top.

In addition to looking beautiful, the moss will definitely help retain substrate moisture for my P. ultramarinus!

This is made more of a vivarium with the addition of a colony isopods to act as cage "janitors" for decaying organic matter.

Hopefully this will give some guidance and new ideas for anyone looking for a more unique set-up!
20170409_035603_001_1491735738873_1491741007853.jpg
20170409_041402_1491741724454.jpg
20170409_041927_1491738504988.png
20170409_035603_001_1491735738873_1491741007853.jpg
20170409_041402_1491741724454.jpg
20170409_041927_1491738504988.png

michaelcng

3 Year Member
Thanks! I'm worried about the tarantula possibly getting a leg trapped between any kind of rocks so I'm not going to put any rocks on the surface.

Next up is one for my G. pulchra.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Man, that is absolutely gorgeous! I have attempted moss enclosures over the years and still dabble a bit. They never look like this for me six months later between the T rearranging or the moss dying. Keep us posted as I would love to know how this works out for you in the long run.

michaelcng

3 Year Member
Thanks!

I stuck in popsicle sticks for structure.

I think if I mist 1x every 2 weeks, I'll be ok. The moss I chose doesnt need a lot of light.

My avic vivarium is doing ok so far.

michaelcng

3 Year Member
Hi Will,

I use plant grow lights for indoor growing set-ups. This will allow you to put more a variety of plants in there without having to worry about sunlight needs. These are what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8V4Z1X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Watch out though as they will require some moisture. I suggest creating 2 or more levels as I did and concentrate the plants on the upper level as decor. You will get the humidity and aesthetic benefits without making the tarantula feel uncomfortable on substrate that is too moist. Keep the lower and main level with the most area dry without any plants. You can actually find some very cool plants at Walmart on the cheap. Just be sure to sanitize them.

To sanitize, I would soak all plants in a mixture of vinegar and water to kill parasites and annoying gnats (which are harmless but really annoying to have fly around). Rinse off an let sit for a few days to dry a little. Then you can plant them. I suggest using Zilla jungle soil for your substrate.

Fortunately my P. ultramarinus likes moist substrate so the moss in the main area isn't an issue.

If your stirmi likes to dig, then you will be in trouble. My G. pulchra fortunately dug up only a small section of moss on the upper level in another vivarium that I made.

Good luck

PurplePanther

3 Year Member
Those pics are beautiful ! Well done for such a creation !

I came to this thread after typing the word Moss for a search.
As this thread is about moss, should I put my query here,
or should I start a new post ?
Sorry, I'm new to the hobby / tarantulaforums. :rolleyes:

PurplePanther

3 Year Member
Those pics are beautiful ! Well done for such a creation !

I came to this thread after typing the word Moss for a search.
As this thread is about moss, should I put my query here,
or should I start a new post ?
Sorry, I'm new to the hobby / tarantulaforums. :rolleyes:

I am such a muppet sometimes.....by checking out michaelcng's post - Vivarium setup for my pink toe
the answer to my moss Q was actually staring me in the face all along, so I'll be quiet !!

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Any comment on how your Ts react to the plant lights? I assume they don't mind since you are making another one of these. I haven't tried moss yet, but I've never had success with plants due to the low light I give my Ts.

Your setup looks great!

Latest posts